By Reena Bhardwaj
Washington DC / Tehran / Geneva, February 18 (ANI): Iran will return within the next two weeks with detailed proposals aimed at addressing outstanding differences, a United States official said following high-stakes nuclear negotiations between Washington and Tehran, indicating that progress had been made despite unresolved issues.
“Progress was made, but there are still a lot of details to discuss. The Iranians said they would come back in the next two weeks with detailed proposals to address some of the open gaps in our positions,” the US official said.
The talks, described as “indirect,” were held in Geneva and involved senior American representatives, including US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, son-in-law to President Donald Trump, engaging with Iranian officials through intermediaries.
The renewed diplomatic engagement comes amid heightened rhetoric from both sides. Ahead of the negotiations, President Trump issued a stern warning about the “consequences of not making a deal,” urging Tehran to be “reasonable” and reminding Iran of the June 2025 B-2 bomber strikes on its nuclear infrastructure.
Speaking to reporters, Trump confirmed that he would participate in the process indirectly, describing the talks as “very important.” While acknowledging Iran as a “tough negotiator,” he claimed its leadership had previously missed opportunities for diplomacy, asserting that military action had forced a return to the negotiating table.
Trump referenced “Operation Midnight Hammer,” the June 21–22, 2025 US strikes targeting Iranian nuclear facilities at Fordow, Natanz, and Isfahan, arguing that without the intervention, Tehran “would have had a nuclear weapon within one month.”
As negotiations resumed, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei issued a sharp warning to Washington, challenging US claims of military dominance and dismissing threats of regime change.
In a series of posts on X, Khamenei said, “The US President keeps saying that they have the strongest military force in the world. The strongest military force in the world may at times be struck so hard that it cannot get up again.”
Referring to the expanded American naval presence in the region, he added that US military hardware remained vulnerable. “The Americans constantly say that they’ve sent a warship toward Iran. Of course, a warship is a dangerous piece of military hardware. However, more dangerous than that warship is the weapon that can send that warship to the bottom of the sea,” he said.
Reflecting on decades of strained relations, Khamenei rejected assertions that the Islamic Republic could be dismantled, stating, “The US President has said that for 47 years, the United States hasn’t been able to eliminate the Islamic Republic. That is a good confession. I say, ‘You, too, will not be able to do this.’”
Iranian officials, including Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi’s delegation, arrived in Switzerland as talks began, coinciding with Khamenei’s speech in Tehran.
The latest round follows earlier nuclear discussions held in April 2025 in Muscat and Rome. The Iranian nuclear agreement dates back to July 2015, when the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action was signed between Iran and world powers, including the United States, capping uranium enrichment at 3.67 per cent and limiting Tehran’s stockpile to 300 kilograms.
The deal collapsed in 2018 after the US withdrew unilaterally during Trump’s first term.
Despite cautious optimism from Washington, tensions remain high. The United States continues to maintain a significant maritime and aerial military presence across the Middle East, while Tehran has warned that it will not tolerate threats as a negotiating tactic and has asserted its readiness to respond to any escalation. (ANI)
580 words, 3 minutes read time.
