LONDON, United Kingdom, Feb. 19 (ANI) — King Charles III issued a solemn statement Thursday following the arrest of his younger brother, Prince Andrew, affirming his full support for the legal process as British authorities investigate allegations of misconduct in public office linked to convicted sex offender and trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.
In an official statement, the British monarch said he had learned of the arrest with “the deepest concern” and emphasized that the case must proceed through a “full, fair and proper process” conducted by the appropriate authorities. He also pledged Buckingham Palace’s full cooperation with investigators.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the statement read.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,” he added.
Earlier Thursday, Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to a report by CNN citing police sources.
In a statement, Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man in his sixties from Norfolk was arrested Feb. 19 as part of an ongoing investigation. Authorities said searches were conducted at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, and the suspect remains in custody.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active, so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court,” the police force said.
According to CNN, police officers arrived early Thursday at Sandringham Estate, the private Norfolk residence of King Charles III, where Andrew had recently relocated after vacating his longtime home in Windsor.
The estate falls under the jurisdiction of Norfolk Constabulary, which confirmed it is assisting with the investigation.
Authorities had previously said they were reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the United Kingdom by Epstein to engage in a sexual encounter with Andrew. Investigators are also examining claims that Andrew shared sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy.
Andrew has denied all allegations and previously stated that he neither witnessed nor suspected Epstein’s criminal activities. He has not commented publicly on the latest misconduct allegations, CNN reported.
The arrest comes months after King Charles III stripped Andrew of his prince title in October following renewed scrutiny linked to the release of additional Epstein-related documents by the US Department of Justice.
The King also initiated proceedings to remove Andrew from his Windsor residence, where he had lived since 2003. Reports indicated that Andrew relocated to Norfolk earlier this year and was provided accommodation and financial support at the Sandringham estate. (ANI)
