Washington [US], June 20 (ANI): US President Donald Trump has opened a two-week window for diplomacy with Iran before deciding on military action, seeking to revive stalled negotiations even as Israel continues its bombing campaign on Iranian targets. According to CNN, Trump and his advisers hope that Iran, under growing pressure from Israeli strikes and recent missile losses, may finally agree to cease uranium enrichment—a key demand that Tehran has so far rejected. The diplomatic pause also gives the White House additional time to evaluate the risks of entering a conflict Trump has long sought to avoid.
As part of these efforts, plans were proposed for Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and Vice President JD Vance to be deployed to the region, although both remained in Washington due to the lack of scheduled talks. Meanwhile, European foreign ministers from Britain, Germany, and France are set to meet Iranian representatives in Geneva this Friday to revive Witkoff’s previous proposals. Iran, however, has insisted it will not engage in negotiations with the US until Israel halts its bombing campaign—a condition unmet so far, according to CNN.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt reaffirmed Trump’s position, emphasizing that while diplomacy remains a path forward, America’s military might is undeniable. “Iran and the entire world should know that the United States military is the strongest and most lethal fighting force in the world,” she said. In Situation Room meetings this week, Trump reviewed plans for bunker-buster bomb strikes on Iran’s underground nuclear facility at Fordow but expressed hesitation over the potential for a prolonged war. Concerns about a multi-year conflict were echoed by senior advisers and former strategist Steve Bannon.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio has also been in communication with European allies to ensure Iran never obtains nuclear weapons. Ahead of the Geneva summit, Rubio spoke with UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy, who reaffirmed, “Iran can never develop or acquire a nuclear weapon.” A White House official described the Geneva meeting as a “temperature check” to assess Tehran’s openness to a negotiated settlement amid continued hostilities. While indirect outreach to Iran continues through Special Envoy Witkoff, there has been little sign of a shift in Tehran’s stance.
Tensions have escalated since June 13, when Israel launched “Operation Rising Lion,” a military offensive targeting Iranian nuclear facilities. Iran responded with drone and missile strikes, leading to fears of a broader regional war.
Moscow has warned the US against military involvement. Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Thursday that any direct US strike on Iran would be a serious mistake, further destabilizing an already volatile region. “This is a step that is bound to lead to further escalation, a major escalation, and would only complicate the situation in the region,” Peskov said, according to RT. He added that such a conflict could “set the entire region on fire.” Russia also rejected any possibility of regime change in Iran, calling such intentions “unacceptable.”
Peskov noted that President Vladimir Putin remains in contact with both Tehran and Tel Aviv and has a “complete picture” of the conflict. During a late-night press conference, Putin revealed that Moscow had proposed compromise frameworks to all parties, including the US, that would allow Iran to maintain peaceful nuclear capabilities while ensuring Israel’s security. Despite his efforts, Peskov admitted there was currently “little ground” for meaningful talks but reaffirmed Russia’s commitment to mediation.
At the White House, Press Secretary Leavitt echoed Trump’s measured approach, reading a statement from the President during Thursday’s briefing: “Based on the fact that there’s a substantial chance of negotiations that may or may not take place with Iran in the near future, I will make my decision whether or not to go within the next two weeks.” Leavitt also reiterated the administration’s non-negotiable condition: “No enrichment of uranium and… Iran is absolutely not able to achieve a nuclear weapon.”
Meanwhile, tensions continue to mount on other fronts. Iran-backed Iraqi militia Kataib Hezbollah has threatened retaliatory strikes against US military installations across the Middle East if the United States enters the war. “Should the United States enter into this war, the deranged President Trump shall forfeit all the trillions he dreams of seizing from this region,” said Abu Ali al-Askari, the group’s security chief, in a statement carried by CNN. He warned that US bases would become “duck-hunting grounds” and threatened to shut down strategic maritime routes like the Strait of Hormuz and the Bab-el-Mandeb, halting Red Sea oil exports.
The militia also warned of aerial attacks, stating that “unforeseen surprises” may be awaiting US aircraft. The US currently operates at least 27 military bases in the region, with 12 in continuous use for over 15 years. CNN also reported that Kataib Hezbollah was blamed for a deadly January 2024 drone attack on Tower 22 near the Syria-Jordan border that killed three US soldiers.
In response to the growing threats and military activity, President Trump reiterated his preference for diplomacy. “I’m not looking to fight. But if it’s a choice between fighting and having a nuclear weapon, you have to do what you have to do,” Trump said on Wednesday. While military options remain on the table, the administration maintains that diplomacy with Iran is still viable—for now. (ANI)
874 words, 5 minutes read time.
