
Washington, DC [US], November 27 (ANI): US President Donald Trump denounced the shooting of two National Guard soldiers near the White House, calling it a “horrific assault” and “an act of terror,” as federal agencies continued investigating the attack that took place a day before Thanksgiving.
The shooting occurred at close range in central Washington, prompting a swift reaction from the administration. Addressing reporters, Trump criticised former president Joe Biden’s earlier immigration policies, claiming the suspect had entered the United States from Afghanistan in 2021 and referring to the country as a “hellhole.”
Authorities identified the accused as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national who arrived in 2021. Officials believe he acted alone. Citing information from Homeland Security, Trump again noted that the suspect was Afghan.
“Earlier today on the eve of the Thanksgiving holiday, two members of the National Guard serving in Washington DC were shot at point blank range in a monstrous, ambush-styled attack just steps away from the White House,” Trump said.
“This heinous assault was an act of evil and an act of hatred and an act of terror. It was a crime against our entire nation, it was a crime against humanity. The hearts of all Americans tonight are with those two members of the West Virginian National Guards and their families,” he added.
Trump said the country was feeling both sorrow and determination after the attack, stating that “we’re also filled with righteous anger and ferocious resolve.” He pledged the strongest possible response, saying that as President, “the animal who perpetrated this atrocity pays the steepest possible price.”
He said Homeland Security was confident the suspect in custody was a foreign national who had entered from Afghanistan, calling it “a hellhole on earth.” Trump alleged that the suspect was brought into the United States by the Biden administration in 2021 “on those infamous flights,” and claimed the individual’s status was later extended under legislation signed by Biden.
“This attack underscores the single greatest national security threat facing our nation. The last administration let in 20 million unknown foreigners from all over the world,” he said.
Outlining further actions, Trump added, “We must now reexamine every single alien who has entered our country from Afghanistan under Biden. We must take all necessary measures to ensure the removal of any alien from any country who does not belong here or add benefit to our country. If they can’t love our country, we don’t want them.”
In an earlier post on Truth Social, Trump expressed support for the National Guard and said he had ordered an additional 500 Guard personnel to Washington after the shooting. He referred to the gunman as an “animal” and said he would “pay a very steep price.”
The shooting happened on Wednesday afternoon just blocks from the White House, in what officials have described as a deliberate act. FBI Director Kash Patel and Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser said both soldiers remained in critical condition in hospital.
Trump says National Guard shooting suspect “went nuts”, lashes out at “stupid” reporter
US President Donald Trump intensified his criticism of the Biden administration’s resettlement policies after being questioned about Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, accused of shooting two National Guard soldiers near the White House.
When asked about the attacker’s reported CIA links, Trump said the individual “went cuckoo (crazy or foolish), he went nuts,” arguing that incidents like this occurred “too often with these people.”
Trump linked the suspect’s presence in the country to broader issues with the 2021 “Operation Allies Welcome” programme, claiming there had been “no vetting or anything” of Afghan nationals and asserting, “They came in unvetted.” Operation Allies Welcome was launched under the Biden administration following the US withdrawal from Afghanistan and the Taliban’s return to power.

He further warned that “we have a lot of others in this country. We’re going to get them out,” framing the case as part of what he described as systemic lapses during the Afghan evacuation.
The exchange grew tense when the reporter noted that Afghan arrivals after the Kabul withdrawal had undergone security checks. Trump dismissed that, insisting they were brought in “along with thousands of other people that shouldn’t be here.” He then rebuked the reporter, saying, “Are you a stupid person?” and repeating, “you’re just asking questions because you’re a stupid person.”
As the political debate over vetting intensified, Trump later announced that Sarah Beckstrom, one of the two Guardsmen shot in Wednesday’s attack, had died of her injuries, while the second remained “fighting for his life.”
He called Beckstrom a “highly respected, young, magnificent person,” saying he learned of her death just before joining a Thanksgiving video call with US troops. He added that the surviving soldier was in “very bad shape.”
The shooting occurred on Wednesday afternoon near 17th Street NW and I Street NW, close to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, which houses senior White House staff. Authorities have identified the accused as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national who entered the United States in 2021.
Trump later said in a statement that the attacker would face severe consequences. “The animal that shot the two National Guardsmen is also severely wounded, but regardless, will pay a very steep price,” he said, adding, “God bless our Great National Guard, and all of our Military and Law Enforcement. I am with you.”
915 words, 5 minutes read time.
