WASHINGTON, February 21 — U.S. President entity[“politician”,”Donald Trump”,”us president”] on Saturday announced that he is raising the worldwide tariff on countries from 10 percent to 15 percent, effective immediately, following a legal review and recent court developments.
In a post on his social media platform Truth Social, Trump said the tariff increase was “fully allowed, and legally tested,” and represented a continuation of his administration’s trade policies. He added that over the next several months, his administration will determine and issue new tariffs deemed legally permissible, which he said would continue what he described as the “extraordinarily successful process of Making America Great Again.”
“Based on a thorough, detailed, and complete review of the ridiculous, poorly written, and extraordinarily anti-American decision on tariffs issued yesterday, after many months of contemplation, by the United States Supreme Court, please let this statement serve to represent that I, as President of the United States of America, will be, effective immediately, raising the 10% worldwide tariff on countries, many of which have been ‘ripping’ the U.S. off for decades, without retribution, to the fully allowed, and legally tested, 15% level,” Trump said.
He added that the administration would continue to implement tariff measures in the coming months in accordance with legal authority and existing trade laws.
The announcement follows a major legal setback for the administration after the entity[“organization”,”United States Supreme Court”,”highest court us”] ruled 6–3 against most of Trump’s sweeping tariff measures. The court determined that the administration exceeded its legal authority by invoking the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977 to impose broad import tariffs.
Following the ruling, Trump signed an executive order imposing a 10 percent global tariff on imports from all countries, effective almost immediately. A White House official told ANI that India is expected to be subject to the tariff until alternative legal authority is invoked.
“Yes, 10% until another authority is invoked,” the official said, adding that trade partners are expected to comply with U.S. trade agreements.
Trump also criticized the Supreme Court’s decision, calling it a “terrible decision,” and said he would rely on Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which allows a temporary import surcharge of up to 15 percent for 150 days to address balance-of-payments concerns.
Earlier this month, India and the United States announced a framework for an interim reciprocal trade agreement aimed at strengthening bilateral economic ties. The agreement reaffirmed both nations’ commitment to negotiating a broader Bilateral Trade Agreement, including expanded market access and stronger supply chain cooperation.
Under the framework, India agreed to eliminate or reduce tariffs on a range of U.S. industrial and agricultural products, including dried distillers’ grains, sorghum, tree nuts, fruits, soybean oil, wine, and spirits. In return, the United States agreed to review and potentially remove reciprocal tariffs on several Indian exports, including generic pharmaceuticals, gems and diamonds, and aircraft parts, subject to successful negotiations.
The U.S. had previously imposed tariffs of up to 50 percent on certain Indian goods, including a 25 percent penalty related to India’s oil imports from Russia.
India’s Commerce and Industry Ministry said it is studying the implications of the Supreme Court ruling and the tariff measures announced by the Trump administration.
“We have noted the U.S. Supreme Court judgment on tariffs yesterday. President Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard. Some steps have been announced by the U.S. administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications,” the ministry said in a statement.
