WASHINGTON, D.C., February 21 — Donald Trump on Friday signed an executive order imposing a 10% global tariff on imports from all countries, effective “almost immediately,” marking a sweeping escalation of his administration’s protectionist trade policy.
Announcing the decision in a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote, “It is my great honor to have just signed, from the Oval Office, a Global 10% Tariff on all Countries, which will be effective almost immediately. Thank you for your attention to this matter!”
A White House official said the tariff would remain in effect until replaced or modified under another legal authority. The official emphasized that the move is intended to ensure trade partners comply with agreements and address what the administration described as unfair trade practices and balance-of-payments concerns.
The announcement follows a significant legal setback for the administration after the US Supreme Court ruled 6–3 that the president exceeded his authority by using the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977 to impose broad-based import tariffs.
Trump criticized the decision, calling it a “terrible ruling,” and said he would invoke Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which allows temporary import surcharges of up to 15% for 150 days to address balance-of-payments deficits.
“Effective immediately, all national security tariffs under Section 232 and existing Section 301 tariffs remain in place,” Trump said. “Today, I will sign an order to impose a 10% global tariff under Section 122 over and above our normal tariffs already being charged.”
Chief Justice John Roberts, joined by Justices Neil Gorsuch, Amy Coney Barrett, and the court’s three liberal justices, ruled that the emergency powers law does not explicitly authorize the president to impose tariffs, a power constitutionally reserved for Congress.
Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Brett Kavanaugh dissented, supporting a broader interpretation of presidential emergency authority.
The court’s ruling invalidated billions of dollars in tariffs and could require the federal government to refund an estimated $130 billion to $175 billion in collected revenue. The decision affects tariffs covering trillions of dollars in global trade.
Trump said his administration would pursue alternative legal avenues to maintain tariffs. “Other alternatives will now be used to replace the ones that the court incorrectly rejected,” he said. “We have alternatives. Could be more money. We will take in more money.”
Calling the ruling “ludicrous,” Trump argued that it benefits foreign countries at the expense of the United States. He alleged that the courts had been influenced by foreign interests and political opposition.
Trump also referenced ongoing trade negotiations with India, stating that “the India deal is on,” and suggesting that bilateral agreements, including reduced reciprocal tariffs, would continue under the new legal framework.
The ruling and subsequent tariff announcement are expected to have wide-ranging consequences for global trade, business investment, inflation trends, and consumer prices.
According to The Washington Post, the U.S. government had collected nearly $134 billion in tariffs under the contested authority as of December 14.
Financial markets responded positively to the court’s decision, with stock indexes rising amid expectations of reduced inflationary pressure. However, gains were limited after Trump pledged to impose new tariffs through alternative legal mechanisms.
The administration has also launched new investigations into alleged unfair trade practices under Section 301, which could result in additional targeted tariffs. Officials confirmed that existing tariffs imposed under national security and unfair trade provisions remain fully in effect, as they were not impacted by the Supreme Court’s ruling.
