TEHRAN, May 18 (ANI): The United States has reportedly agreed to a temporary waiver on sanctions targeting Iranian oil exports during ongoing negotiations with Iran aimed at reaching a broader resolution to tensions in West Asia, according to Iranian state media outlet Tasnim News Agency.
Tasnim, citing a source close to the Iranian negotiating team, reported that Washington accepted provisions in a new draft agreement allowing the suspension of oil-related sanctions on Iran during the negotiation period.
The source said the revised US proposal differs from earlier drafts, which did not include such provisions, and now reportedly allows temporary easing of restrictions while discussions continue.
The development comes after Tehran submitted its latest 14-point resolution draft in a renewed diplomatic effort to ease regional tensions.
According to Tasnim, the measure approved by Washington has been described as a “suspension” of sanctions, indicating a temporary lifting of restrictions rather than a permanent removal.
Iran has consistently maintained that any final agreement must include the complete removal of all US-imposed sanctions as part of a broader deal.
The latest 14-point proposal was reportedly conveyed by Tehran through Islamabad.
Tasnim News Agency, citing a source closely connected to the negotiations, said the diplomatic framework had been formally transmitted through Pakistan.
The state-affiliated media outlet also reported that the primary objective behind Iran’s diplomatic efforts is “to end the war and build trust” among the parties involved.
Meanwhile, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian earlier defended Tehran’s decision to continue negotiations with the United States, saying dialogue conducted “with dignity” remains necessary while emphasizing that Iran will continue defending its national interests.
According to the Iranian Students’ News Agency (ISNA), Pezeshkian made the remarks during a public relations gathering of executive agencies titled “Iranian Narrators.”
“It is not logical to say that we will not negotiate,” Pezeshkian said.
“They chant that we shouldn’t engage in dialogue — what should we do if we don’t talk? Fight until the bitter end? It’s not logical to say we won’t engage in dialogue; we engage in dialogue with dignity,” he added.
Pezeshkian also said Iran is capable of defending its interests while pursuing diplomacy.
“We are capable of defending the nation’s rights with the backing of the people. We must speak logically and receive logical responses,” he said. (ANI)
