Hong Kong, November 30 (ANI): Authorities in Hong Kong have discovered 18 more human remains following the massive fire that swept through the Wang Fuk Court housing estate, raising the death toll to 146, Al Jazeera reported.
The blaze, Hong Kong’s deadliest in over 75 years, engulfed seven residential towers of the complex over two days before firefighters finally extinguished it on Friday.
Shuk-yin Tsang, head of the Hong Kong police casualty unit, told reporters that another 100 people remain unaccounted for, while 79 were injured. The police had previously reported 128 deaths, with families assisting in the difficult identification process, according to Al Jazeera.
Cheng Ka-chun, who leads the police victim identification unit, said search crews have combed through four buildings so far, recovering bodies from apartments and rooftops. He added that the unit “cannot rule out the possibility of further fatalities,” with the full search process across all burned buildings expected to take three to four weeks.
More than 1,000 people gathered at the scene on Sunday to honor the dead, laying flowers, placing handwritten notes, and praying quietly, as per Al Jazeera.
Public anger has grown as details emerge about longstanding safety concerns. Residents had repeatedly warned authorities about fire risks and questionable construction practices at the complex. Renovations since last year, including bamboo scaffolding and flammable foam boards used to cover windows, helped the fire spread rapidly.
Hong Kong officials announced late Saturday the immediate suspension of work on 28 building projects undertaken by the contractor of the complex, Prestige Construction and Engineering Company, for safety audits. Three company officials are among at least 11 people arrested in connection with the blaze.
Many of the 4,600 residents of the high-rise buildings are now housed in short-term emergency shelters or city hotels, with authorities working on longer-term accommodation solutions. (ANI)
