WASHINGTON, D.C., May 24 (ANI) — The suspect killed in the shooting outside the White House has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to a person familiar with the investigation cited by CBS News.
CBS News reported that Best had been living in Washington, D.C., for approximately 18 months prior to the incident. The report further stated that Best previously encountered the U.S. Secret Service in July 2025, when he allegedly attempted to gain entry to the White House. According to the source cited by CBS News, he was arrested near the complex by Secret Service personnel.
Following that incident, Best was reportedly admitted to a psychiatric ward for mental health-related issues, CBS News reported.
The suspect was shot after allegedly opening fire at a U.S. Secret Service checkpoint on Saturday night, according to CBS News and a Secret Service spokesperson. He later died at a hospital.
Preliminary investigations revealed that the suspect approached the checkpoint, pulled a weapon from his bag, and began firing at officers.
Secret Service officers returned fire, striking the suspect. He was transported to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to CBS News.
A bystander was also struck by gunfire, although authorities have not confirmed whether the individual was hit by shots fired by the suspect or by officers. The bystander’s condition was not immediately available.
In a statement, the U.S. Secret Service said, “Shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday, an individual in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing.”
The statement added, “Secret Service Police returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting, one bystander was also struck by gunfire. No injuries were sustained by officers. The President was in the White House during the incident; however, no protectees or operations were impacted. This incident remains under investigation and additional information will be released as it becomes available.”
U.S. House Speaker Mike Johnson praised the Secret Service officers for their response to the incident.
Assistant to the President Steven Cheung said President Donald Trump was working at the time of the incident and continued with his schedule afterward. (ANI)
