A silhouetted man stands next to advertisement posters reading “Islamabad Talks” at the Convention Centre, as Pakistan prepares to host the U.S. and Iran for the second phase of peace talks in Islamabad, Pakistan April 22, 2026. REUTERS/Akhtar Soomro
Tehran, Iran, May 20: A potential agreement between the United States and Iran aimed at ending hostilities in West Asia could be announced soon, according to reports by Saudi state media outlet Al Arabiya citing sources familiar with the negotiations.
According to the report, work is currently underway to finalise the draft agreement amid intensified diplomatic engagement between Washington and Tehran.
The report added that a new round of negotiations is expected to take place in Islamabad after the Hajj season, indicating continued diplomatic efforts between the parties involved.
In a parallel development, Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi reportedly met the commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in Tehran as negotiations continued.
The discussions reportedly focused on regional security coordination and broader diplomatic developments linked to the evolving situation in West Asia.
Naqvi also held talks with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian during his visit to Tehran, though details of the meeting have not been officially disclosed.
The reported progress toward a possible US-Iran agreement comes amid heightened tensions across West Asia, with regional powers closely monitoring diplomatic efforts aimed at preventing further escalation and restoring stability.
Earlier in the day, Saudi Arabia welcomed US President Donald Trump’s decision to “give diplomacy a chance” in efforts to end the conflict involving Iran.
In a post on X, Saudi Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud said the Kingdom appreciated efforts to restore regional stability and maritime security in the Strait of Hormuz to conditions that existed before the conflict began on February 28, 2026.
“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia highly appreciates US President Donald Trump’s decision to give diplomacy a chance to reach an acceptable agreement to end the war, restore the security and freedom of maritime navigation in the Strait of Hormuz to its state prior to February 28th, 2026; and address all points of contention in a way that serves the security and stability of the region,” the statement read.
Saudi Arabia also urged Iran to respond positively to diplomatic initiatives and avoid further escalation.
“Saudi Arabia looks forward to Iran seizing the opportunity to avoid the dangerous implications of escalation and urgently responding to the efforts to advance the negotiations leading up to a comprehensive agreement to achieve lasting peace in the region and the world,” the statement added.
Earlier, Trump said the United States was not in a hurry to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and planned to give diplomacy “one shot.”
“We have to open the Strait of Hormuz. We are going to give it one shot. We are not in a hurry,” Trump said.
On Tuesday, Trump also stated that Iran wanted to make a deal “so badly” and expressed confidence that the conflict could end “very quickly.”
“There’s so much oil out there, they’re going to come plummeting down… We’re going to end that war very quickly. They want to make a deal so badly,” he said.
The diplomatic developments follow ongoing negotiations related to a broader peace agreement between the US and Iran after Trump earlier announced that a planned attack on Tehran had been put on hold following appeals from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. (ANI)
